Complaints / Grievances

Student Complaints

The college provides a variety of avenues for students to register a complaint in the College Catalog. See the catalog for the procedure to register a complaint. If the student is not satisfied with the results, each process has an appeal procedure. For example, students may appeal each of the institution’s decisions regarding:

  • Student Code of Conduct Violation
  • Grievance Council Finding
  • Transfer Credit
  • Suspension (academic)
  • Grade
  • Financial Aid Suspension
  • Student Complaint Log

The procedure for appeal is listed in the catalog. If a student is not satisfied with the decision, they may make a final appeal to the college Board of Trustees. Notify the President for assistance. The Board’s decision is final.


A grievance is an action filed by a student or group of students stating a belief that the educational progress is being hampered or individual rights/freedoms are being denied through violation of a college policy, procedure, or practice. It requires a request for some specific action to occur.  The petitioner states the grievance in written form to the VP of Student Services or college designee and should include:

    • What college policy, procedure, practice, or action is in question, and what rights or freedoms are they affecting.
    • When and where this occurred.
    • What informal attempts were made to resolve the matter.
    • What, in the individual’s opinion, needs to be done to resolve the matter.

College administration will determine if the matter is a grievable offense. The matter will be closed if the situation is determined “not grievable” and the petitioner will be notified of the reasons. Otherwise, the college designee will respond to the petitioner in writing within 15 days after receipt of the written grievance. If the response is satisfactory to the petitioner, no further action is necessary. If not, the petitioner notifies the college designee to proceed to a hearing with the College Grievance Council. The college designee will convene the college Grievance Council within 15 days of the grievance.  Notice shall be given to all parties at least seven days prior to the hearing, unless the parties agree to a shorter time.  The college designee will select an impartial Grievance Council to include three members, including: one student, one faculty member, and one administrator or classified employee.

The Council will hear statements from and may question the petitioner and respondent.  The Council may accept statements in writing on behalf of petitioner and/or respondent.  The Grievance Council may pursue other actions it deems necessary to obtain pertinent information to fulfill its role.

Within 15 days after completion of the hearing, the Council will report its findings and decision to the College designee. The College representative must notify both parties of the decision in writing as soon as possible.

Appeal or Grievance Council Finding. The right to appeal the decision is available for a period of 15 days after notification of the decision. The individual may file an appeal and/or address their concern with the Kansas Attorney General’s Office of Consumer Protection:

Consumer Protection Hotline: 1-800-432-2310 or 785-296-3751
Fax: 785-291-3699