Student Responsibilities

The SATC School Certifying Official (SCO) needs assistance to ensure the most accurate and timely information is sent to the Dept. of Veterans Affairs-on the student’s behalf.  The following student responsibilities are required of each VA student using benefits for courses taken at SATC.

Benefit Decision: It is the responsibility of the student to decide on which benefit is most appropriate for him/her based on individual circumstances.  Our SCO’s cannot make the decision for the student.  Please visit the VA website for assistance.

Certificate of Eligibility:  Students must submit a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility to their VA School Certifying Official to be certified for courses.  Effective January 2016, students will be required to submit an updated Certificate of Eligibility each semester for courses to be certified with the VA.

Approved Courses: Students must enroll for courses that are required for the elected degree program.  The Dept. of Veterans Affairs only pays benefits for courses that are needed for the degree program, and that have not been previously or successfully completed.

*Remedial/Developmental Classes cannot be certified to the VA if taking 100% on-line. (remedial/developmental courses consist of Technical Math with Review, Intermediate Algebra)

Federal Financial Aid: If you are using federal aid or have used it previously, please make sure you contact the Financial Aid office for any questions or concerns. Please note that the rate of pursuit may be different for financial aid and VA. For example, 6 hours may be considered full-time for VA purposes, but may only be considered part-time for federal financial aid. It is the student’s responsibility to inform the SCO if they are using financial aid.

Change in Degree: In order to change a degree program, please send an email to your assigned SCO stating which degree you are changing from, and what degree you are now interested in pursuing. This information will be kept in your file.

Enrollment Changes: Federal law requires students to report any change of enrollment status that might affect their education benefits.  It is the student’s responsibility to notify their assigned certifying official of any change in status-IMMEDIATELY!  This includes adding/changing or withdrawing from a course. Changes should be reported promptly to avoid delay in payments or possible over payments.

Third Party: If your third-party sponsor (military, employer, governmental agency, etc.) fails to pay SATC, you assume responsibility for paying the amount the sponsor originally promised to pay on your behalf.

Submission of Transcripts: Students have within the first 6 weeks of application to submit official transcripts from previously attended colleges & universities to SATC. Official high school or GED transcripts are required at the time you apply for graduation.

*Students using federal financial aid have different transcript requirements.  Please visit the SATC Financial Aid webpage for more information.

Mailing address:
Salina Area Technical College
2562 Centennial RD
Salina, KS 67401

Students using CH 31 Vocational Rehabilitation benefits are required to submit a SATC unofficial transcript to their VA counselor at the end of each semester. Unofficial transcripts are available through your SONIS account.

VA Payments: Questions concerning VA payments must be addressed with the Dept. of Veterans Affairs. SCO’s cannot access payment information, as they are school representatives and not employees of the Dept. of Veterans Affairs. Please visit your eBenefits account for assistance.

Record Changes: It is the student’s responsibility to submit a change of address in their SONIS account and to also notify the assigned certifying official. All correspondence from SATC is mailed to the address listed in the student’s SONIS account.

Guest Students: Students visiting SATC to take classes to transfer back to their home school are required to submit the following documentation:

  • This is the responsibility of the student to obtain from the School Certifying Official at their home school. Certification of courses with SATC will not be completed without the Parent School Letter from the home school.

  • A copy of their certificate of eligibility; without a certificate of eligibility, students will be required to pay 25% down of total tuition due for online courses, no matter what chapter they are using.

  • Students using Chapters 30, 35 & 1606 will be required to pay 25% down of total tuition due for online courses, as tuition payments are not paid to the school directly.

  • Students must also follow the prerequisite requirements for courses offered at SATC. Submission of an unofficial transcript is required for clearance of prerequisite requirement.

Enrollment Certification Request Form: Every student wishing to use their benefits to pay for classes are required to submit the Enrollment Certification Request form each time. No Exceptions!

Part Time vs. Full Time Status: The Dept. of Veteran Affairs determines the rate of pursuit by the number of credits and days/weeks of the semester/session/term/cycle. Students can typically be considered a full-time VA student based on the following criteria (subject to change):

Eight week session= six credits hours is considered full time

*Students taking only on-line courses will receive 1/2 of the national BAH rate at the E-5 level with dependents.
*Students must take at least one on-campus course during the same time frame as the on-line course to receive the BAH rate for the area in which you are assigned.

16 week on-line session= 12 credit hours to be full time

How to Verify Your Attendance to the VA

Chapter 30, Chapter 1606 and Chapter 1607 students MUST report school attendance to the Department of Veterans Administration on the last day of each month in order to receive payment.

Call 1-877-823-2378 or verify your school attendance online.

Students using Dependents Education Assistance (Chapter 35), Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33), or Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) are NOT required to verify monthly attendance.

Reporting Class Schedule Changes to the VA

If you drop or add classes, enroll in classes outside your SATC educational objective, repeat classes, enroll in short-term classes or are dropped for nonattendance, these changes are required to be reported to the VA.

Changes in enrollment can result in an overpayment that will be determined by the VA.

The Veteran Services office requires that all students who make a schedule change complete the Notice of Schedule Change for VA Education Benefits form PDF when any changes are made to your schedule.

Beginning April 1, 2011, the Veteran Services office will require that all students who make a schedule change complete the Notice of Schedule Change for VA Education Benefits form PDF when any changes are made to your schedule.

SATC has many free resource centers to assist you with tutorial services. If you find that you need additional assistance, the VA has a tutorial assistance program that can reimburse you for a private tutor. Please contact a Veterans Administration advisor if you would like more information on using this program.