college sign

Frequently Asked Questions


  • How do I apply for  admission?
  • What is Placement Testing?
    • Placement Testing is an untimed, computerized test that helps Salina Tech evaluate your skills and place you into appropriate courses. Click here to sign up for an appointment to test. 


  • Are there academic advising services available to students?
    • Yes. New students should meet with an advisor prior to their first day of class to make certain all admission, financial, and other obligations have been met.
  • Will classes from other colleges transfer to SATC?
    • SATC reserves the right to evaluate any potential transfer courses based upon the syllabi and competencies of similar courses instructed at SATC.  See Academic Advisor for further information.
  • Whats the difference between getting a certificate and an associate degree?
    • Certificate and Associate degree are different in that they serve different needs. Technical certificates are issued to persons who have completed a specialized program of study that is related to specific vocational skills. An associate degree is typically a two-year degree awarded by community colleges, technical colleges, and universities in the US. Someone who earns an associate degree has usually completed about 60 college credits, the equivalent of two years of coursework. 
  • Does SATC offer any bachelor's degrees?
    • No.

Class Assistance/Tutoring 

  • How do I get help if I’m struggling/having problems in class?
    • Contact your Academic Advisor or anyone in Student Services or Learning Resources Staff to discuss available options.
  • Is tutoring available?
    • Yes, click here to find out more about, 24/7/365 tutoring assistance available through Salina Tech Canvas. 
    • For more assistance, please email or Lara Duran, Educational Services Coordinator, , 785-309-3111 or visit the Learning Resources Center in Building A, Upstairs, Room 241 on the Salina Tech Campus. 

Job Placement

  •  How do students find jobs?
    • Students may receive assistance with career exploration and job placement in the computer lab or by contacting department faculty, Learning Resources Staff or his or her advisor.
  • What companies hire SATC students? And what is the job placement rate for graduates?
    • A variety of companies, large and small, from Salina and the surrounding areas hire SATC graduates.  Job placement rate varies from program to program but is between 90% - 95%.
  •  Will I get an industry recognized credential?
    • Industry recognizes our Technical Certificates, Associates Degrees, and other certifications gained in specific courses or embedded in full-time programs.All students who complete full-time programs also complete WorkKeys Certification, a Kansas version of the National Career Readiness Certification.
  • What are the current salary levels for my program?
    • The average wage for our graduates is $13.38.
  • What resources are available for job placement?
    • SATC offers help to graduates by providing them with employer networking, internship information, resume assistance, mock interviews and the Jobs page under Students.


  •  How long does it take to receive the diploma or certificate after graduation?
    • It takes approximately 4-6 weeks after graduation to receive your diploma/certificate.
  • How do students apply to graduate?
    • Students graduating must fill out a Graduation Application Form in Student Services.
  • Are graduates required to pass a third-party, state or national registry or certification?
    • No, typically students are given the opportuntiy to take certifications during an applicable course or program but graduation is not neccessarily contingent on passing. Scores from certificaton exams may or may not be worked in to courses or progams. 
    • Often, after either graduating or completing a technical course or program and/or set number of hours working in the related field, students may become eligible to take third-party, state or national certifications. 


  • Where can I find resources for students with disabilities?
    • Click here or visit Student Services for more information.
  • Are there any student organizations on campus? How do I become involved?
    • Student Government Association is on campus.  All students may participate in monthly meetings.
  • Can I choose where I do my clinical rotation?
    • Dental Assistants may choose the dental office where they would like to intern.  Medical Assistants are given the clinic where rotation will occur.
  • Do you accept ACT/SAT?
    • Salina Tech will accept the ACT and SAT as well as multiple other types of placement and college readiness testing. Please inquire with Shonell Edwards at or 785-309-3136 with specific questions.
  • Do you accept IEP’s?
    • Salina Area Technical College operates under the mandate of Section 504 and 508 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Amendments Act of 2008, which prohibit discrimination on the basis of handicap against any "otherwise qualified individual." Individuals seeking accommodations must give reasonable notice (2 weeks or more) and provide documentation to support their request. Reasonable accommodations will be made on a case-by-case basis in order to ensure educational accessibility. Be aware that high school and college have different expectations and requirements and different laws regarding accommodations.
  • Why can’t you share my child’s information with me?
    • FERPA is a Federal law that is administered by the Family Policy Compliance Office (Office) in the U.S. Department of Education (Department). 20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99. FERPA applies to all educational agencies and institutions (e.g., schools) that receive funding under any program administered by the Department.
  • Is it easy to get involved on campus?
    • Salina Tech offers Student Government Association and various clubs and organizations across campus. Contact Student Services for more information to join club.
  • I do not see my question here. What are my options?
    • Contact Student Services at 785-309-3100.

Salina Area Technical College does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation, parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, military service, or any other non-merit based factor in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI, Title VII, ADA, Title IX, Section 504, Title II, GINA, is directed to contact the Human Resources Specialist, 2562 Centennial Rd, Salina, KS 67401, 785-309-3100.


For more information about our completion , on-time graduation rates, cost, placement rates, and median debt incurred, please go to and search by program of study. You may also compare programs at various Kansas colleges here: